Sunday, December 12, 2010

FSR Part One

I awoke to cold, wind and dark. Was about six in the morning and the rest of the group was still crashed out in their sleeping bags. I was first to the kitchen consisting of a whisperlite stove, a couple of pots and pans, and the food bags which were kept in the bear fence overnight. I lit the stove to get water boiling for hot drank. Yesterday was a long day. It actually had been a long week, our first in the Wind River Mountains. Most of these people were flatlanders and had not been acclimatized.I was in good shape from the previous summer fighting fire. Everyone seemed to be getting along any how. The masses were up and moving now and cook groups were trying to work on breakfast, still mastering the art of their layering systems and staying warm and comfortable. Some had it down quicker than others. My shit was tight. Eventually we were all ready to hike by the eight thirty deadline. The wind was blowing hard up there on Ross Lake. I was wearing my korkki jacket, and yelling wildly to get everybody stoked for the days hike. I led for most of the day. We had a route around a high mountain lake, getting cliffed out once in a while delaying our progress. We made it in midday, scouted camp, and hung out. I later assembled my fly rod to make a few casts. Tom wanted to go with me. I was hesitant, but had promised him a casting lesson. I was in a tight spot. We head out to a clear river flowing into the lake. I begin to rig up. Tom wasn't wearing any eye protection so he hustles back to camp. By the time he came back I had a nineteen inch cutthoat by the gills. The conversation was quick. "Look at that Tommy" "Holy shit, already?" "We're eating fish tonight!" The next few hours I caught and cleaned fish for the group. It was a blast finally hooking up with some big Cutts and Bows from the high mountain lake. I was in my element. Having fun doing what I know best. It was a Positive Learning Environment.

0 comments: