Saturday, April 17, 2010

Class of 2013

Before of course, we sat and listened to the river in blue company,
those of us always looking for some sort of connection.

This evening both dogs are with me,
warm goldens resting on either side.

They are not the pounding music and all of timed urban life
spent with a weekend amongst timeless peers.

I needed the dogs so I could drop the sticks into the current below,
without the dogs there would be nothing to take away,
I have no use for fallen birch on thawing ground.

So much temptation litters the path.

Some sticks I pry out and drop in the river flow promptly downstream,
sucked right along with gravity and the brown current.
Some stay in the eddy, spinning around and around,
until becoming so water-logged that they sink to the bottom.

I needed the stick so I could write, a bit stuck you see,
I went deliberately for connection, retrievers as accessories,
Watching those sticks float around in the gurgling river
And I knew I had it, promptly, got up and left.

Unless you are timeless timber, a recoverable artifact,
capable of existing in the preciseness of now
alongside the forever of succinct utility,
let the current carry you.

1 comments:

Liz said...

Nice introspective.